Have a look...apart from having super giveaways and segments on top designers they also have some great informative posts about various topics at times.
I came across a post recently, written by guest Aggy Burczyk called 'Thread Matters: Binding with a touch' in where Aggy uses her decorative stitches of her machine (Bernina) to beautify the binding.
Just had to try this...
I used Aurifil 50/2 both in the top and bottom in my favourite blue colour.
And this is what it looks like when it is attached
Must admit, I got very enthused when I was trying this and did not read the blog post to the end...haha, only to realise that I was not going to be able to close the binding in the normal way. In the end I just sewed the endings together as this quilt is fairly bulky with lots of puff, so that little bit of extra bulk will not be noticeable. Aggy does provide two different ways of working out the closure of the binding...very interesting.
Lots of possibilities!