Wednesday 18 March 2015

March 2015 FMQ Challenge

Finished my pillow for the FMQ Challenge run over at Quiltshopgal. This months' expert is Patsy Thompson and I think I fall under Option 3. I did check out Patsy's blog re her pillow samples and basically this month I am just going to be a bit of a copy cat. For me it is very important that this challenge is about learning new things and seeing Patsy's trapunto and background filler I thought it was time that I gave this a go. See my previous blog post FMQ Fun about the process of getting the trapunto design onto the square and stitching it out incorporating the hyperquilting that Patsy is so well known for. As mentioned previously I did get Patsy's DVD series on feathers some time ago and cannot recommend it highly enough...I learned so much from that and also got somewhat addicted to the hyperquilting.

Anyway, here is my completed pillow, done again using the orange shot cotton with Aurifil 50/2 thread. You cannot really see the in-lining very well in this picture but it is there, done in yellow thread. The interesting thing is that I did not consider the middle section that much and once trapuntoed, realized that without in-lining in the middle this puffed out more than the surrounding feathers...maybe I should have put some in-lining in there as well...not sure.

Close up of the wreath taken outside in the sun showing the trapunto effect...very prominent indeed. I used Wool batting to do the trapunto because this is what I had. I think Polyester would have been nicer as this turned out a little bit firmer than expected as there was a lot of puff in there.
Love the background filler as it adds a lot of texture to the overall piece without being overpowering and is very forgiving to stitch out. Probably need a bit more practice to get used to the way I stitch this...got a bit of a rhythm going but frequently lost it again being a bit undecided where to go next but I think with a bit more practice this should become second nature.

Bit of an added feature...had this Fat Quarter forever and finally found a good use for it using it as a back for the pillow.
Also tried my luck on using a zipper closure again...word of warning...open your zipper before sewing the whole lot together! What a hassle, took me forever to pry this open to turn the pillow out.

Linking up to the March FMQ Challenge held by Darlene over at Quiltshopgal.

Also popping over to  Sew Fresh Quilts for Let's Bee Social to spread the word.

Karin

12 comments:

  1. Your pillow is so pretty. I have never tried trapunto, but seeing your pillow makes me want to give it a go. Great idea to do it on something small. And your background filler is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love you Pillow...beautiful quilting .. I also like your backing... I have had that problem with a zip too.. it is so annoying isn't it! ...Where in Australia are you ? I am in WEntsern Australia :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your pillow is just wonderful, I thought that back was pieced until I read!! Awesome quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The quilting really is gorgeous! I am in awe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wunder- wunderschön liebe Karin,
    besser geht es nicht!!!
    Liebe Grüße
    Bente

    ReplyDelete
  6. beautiful quilting.... it has worked out just awesome...
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your pillow is beautiful! ~Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! Your quilting looks perfect!!! Not sure if I'm taking the challenge this month, but yours has inspired me!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Karin your pillow is wonderful :) You do such nice work.
    mary

    ReplyDelete

Hi...thanks for stopping by and commenting. Very much appreciated! I will endeavour to answer all comments via email. Please check that you are not a no-reply blogger as there is no way of responding to you (other than by reply on the blog). If you need help with this issue, please head for Tutorials for a link on how to fix this issue.

Popular Posts