Monday 10 March 2014

Sneak Preview of the Windmill quilt

Before you consider a project that requires a lot, and I mean a lot of HST, consider the cutting time! I have been cutting for most of the last 2 weeks and really started to drag my feet with this...also made one of those stupid cutting mistakes, wasted some fabric and half way through changed my mind on the background fabric...

But finally, the beginnings of a beautiful little quilt


Very simple, but I do like the simple quilt layouts where the fabric and colour does most of the talking. I won the border fabric (Remix by Ann Kelle for Robert Kaufman) in one of those Magazine competitions and have long been wondering how to use it...this just fits perfectly. The blocks come together quickly if you are organized and chain piece your way through it...the only fiddly bit is the join of the eight seams in the middle as this can become a bit bulky, particularly if your points are a bit out. Hence, the accurate cutting of the triangles is very important as I found out yesterday evening with having to redo and fix about 10 of those blocks...lesson learnt! 

Well, on with the show...more cutting coming up for me.

Linking up to Anything Goes Linky Party at Stitch by Stitch

Karin

8 comments:

  1. Looks fabulous Karin. I agree with you on cutting, my least favorite part of quilting. I'm dragging my feet on a quilt for the same reason.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well....it is certainly worth the effort...it's coming out wonderfully!!! PS I added myself as a GFC follower. :) val from myplvl.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks great so far and I really love that border fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That border fabric is perfect. Love the look of this so far!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It may be a lot of cutting but the result is AWESOME and a perfect border indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm with you, I love simple quilts. I'm currently working on a HST quilt-a-long quilt. LOTS of cutting. But the results are worth it! Your beautiful quilt top is proof of that!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love thes bright colours on the white, and how perfect is that border fabric?! Goes with your perfect points!

    ReplyDelete

Hi...thanks for stopping by and commenting. Very much appreciated! I will endeavour to answer all comments via email. Please check that you are not a no-reply blogger as there is no way of responding to you (other than by reply on the blog). If you need help with this issue, please head for Tutorials for a link on how to fix this issue.

Popular Posts