Friday 26 October 2012

Bloggers' Quilt Festival


Amy's Creative Side

I am participating in the  Blogger's Quilt Festival Fall 2012 hosted by Amy's Creative Side with my favourite scrap quilt. The quilt is a string quilt based on 'String Quilting Primer' by Bonnie K. Hunter. I absolutely love scrap quilts with their multitude of colours that do not necessarily go together but as a whole create a harmonious picture.






String quilt (2011)
Quilt Measurement:  64" x 80"
Special Technique: Strip-piecing
Quilted by: Me
Best Category: Scrap quilt

I made this quilt over a whole year while I was working on other projects. Every now and then when I did not feel like doing anything too complicated or taxing I would complete a few of those blocks with the scraps that had accumulated to alarming proportions over the last few years. This quilt just grew and grew and before I realised it had become a big single size bedspread. What I really like about this quilt is that it has all the fabric that I have used over the last 5-6 years. When looking at it now I always discover those most precious pieces of fabrics that I have long forgotten about...a bit like a walk down memory lane.

A close up



I did not use paper in the construction but very thin interfacing that I left in the blocks which made this a very easy quilt to construct, i.e. just sewn the strips onto the interfacing and then squared off the block. Given its size, I used bamboo batting which made the quilt not quite as heavy than if I had used cotton batting and just stitched around the blocks in-the-ditch.

Make sure to head over to Amy's Creative Side to have a look at all the quilts in the festival over the next few days. There are lots of different categories and voting for the favourite quilt in each category will start after Wednesday 31st and go through to November 8th.

Karin

16 comments:

  1. Simply gorgeous, I have just recently fallen in love with string piecing and I agree nothing in common makes for a harmonious view ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Christina...I think they are simply addictive once you've done one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Scrap quilts are just the best - wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Totally agree, they are the reason I got into quilting into the first place.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooohhh, - where is my scrap basket. I want one too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous - beautiful work, Karin!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Replies
    1. Yes, me too...this one was a lot of fun. Will be doing another one as it did do absolutely nothing to reduce the amount of scrap fabric. Back to where I was before...I reckon I have another two quilts that I could do out of my scrap box.

      Delete
  8. beautiful quilt! love the scrappiness of it beautiful!!!!
    ann

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is great. I love scrappy string quilts. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I too love the 'no mind' sewing of string quilts. They look amazing when completed.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The black sashing adds another dimension to this quilt and makes those strings really stand out.

    I totally agree with you about string quilts. The individual blocks may not look like much but when you put a quilt together it's amazing how wonderful it looks as a whole.

    ReplyDelete
  12. scrap quilts are great because you don't have to buy a bunch of fabric - and they do turn into something gorgeous! =) Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is a gorgeous scrap quilt! Count on my nomination!! Sorry I missed this post! I will go through and nominate tonight. Can't access Amy's blog here at work:( It's blocked.

    ReplyDelete

Hi...thanks for stopping by and commenting. Very much appreciated! I will endeavour to answer all comments via email. Please check that you are not a no-reply blogger as there is no way of responding to you (other than by reply on the blog). If you need help with this issue, please head for Tutorials for a link on how to fix this issue.

Popular Posts