Monday 6 August 2012

Quilt Along #25 - Cucumber Vine

Another great design from Leah Day's Quilt Along Wednesdays called Cucumber Vine.

Now I could pretend that I have not seen this design before, however this is the one design that I had picked out late last year to practice. I kept my practice piece of that design because I was obviously very impressed with that.

Here is what it looked like last year



Now, it will be interesting to compare how I am stitching this design this year, so I had a go on my practice quilt:

Bit hard to see

Back

Not much different...it seems last year I did the whole design a bit more dense and you can see some hesitation here and there. I think now the design looks a bit more well rounded.

Last year I also played a bit with making this design fit into an inner border or sashing of 2 or 2 1/2 inches and this is what I came up with (I actually saw something similar on some pre-printed shopping list where an overall design like this was as a watermark in the background):

I actually had forgotten that I had this in my little notebook:

Playing with the idea

I substituted my usual pattern of leaves and hooks with the swirls...pretty sure this is not a new design and that somebody somewhere will have thought of this before.

Anyway, hope you like it...I think it makes a nice small border or sashing design and sews very easily due to its repetition.


Looking at this I had to laugh...how consistent are those two lines in terms of spacing and shapes...no, I did not measure this out or plan it this way.  Actually did not see this on my little practice piece until I put up the photo just now. This is actually a good example of how some designs become like riding a bike, totally internalised. I do a lot of the leafy type designs and have done several smaller borders with similar designs. While I am a perfectionist by nature this is almost a bit freaky - the same slant of the curves, the same shape in the leaves. I assure you I am quite normal otherwise (lol).

My 'practice ' quilt is coming along!


Until next time


Karin

11 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you. Finally managed to put the translator gadget on my blog...long overdue.
      Had a look at your blog. Really pretty the way you set that up. Thanks for visiting.

      Delete
  2. I've tried this design too but only on a very small piece. I love how yours looks. My needs more practice. I think your consistency is a good thing! You have mastered the design and this is the proof!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, I am not complaining but was really surprised on how 'the same' the two lines actually were. Had never noticed this before...I guess because you would not normally stitch them next to each other.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You did a great job on Cucumber Vines! And I just may 'borrow' you sashing/border design - it is wonderful! ~Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, please do...I completely forgot about this design. I might actually put it in the inner border of my practice quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the addition of the leaves.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooooooooh lala. i love the swirls with leaves! I wish I hadn't added the big swirls in mine. I like how you did yours much better. Good to know if i ever do this design again:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, the bigger and more ornate the swirls, the more backtracking. Although I did like how yours looked.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wish that I had of seen this before I sewed the design on my bibs. I sure would have wanted to use your design. It is awesome.

    ReplyDelete

Hi...thanks for stopping by and commenting. Very much appreciated! I will endeavour to answer all comments via email. Please check that you are not a no-reply blogger as there is no way of responding to you (other than by reply on the blog). If you need help with this issue, please head for Tutorials for a link on how to fix this issue.

Popular Posts