Thursday 2 February 2012

Quilt Along #4

This week's focus was on stitching on a line. I was dreading this a bit thinking that this would surely not work for me. I must say though, I had a lot of fun with this. It was a lazy Saturday...very hot over here, so there was not much else to do but to stay inside the air conditioned house. Sat down at the sewing machine and just went for it. Here are my lines:


Bit hard to see on the front, so here is the back
I was amazed with the result. The stitching was not too bad at all. The only problem I had was that as soon as I stopped, I sort of continued with a bit of a jerk in the line before I could straighten myself out again.The other issue was the change of direction - in anticipation of the change I would generally start making tiny stitches when approaching the change or produce a knot as I missed the point of turning and obviously stitched on the spot. This got a bit better once I tried a few more lines.

The next thing I tried was the motif. I got a quilt pounce for Christmas so this was the perfect opportunity to try this out. Worked like a dream and I got a bit carried away with this and kept going on this tiny sample. I used 50/3 Gutermann thread with a 80/12 needle. If I was doing this on a quilt I would probably use Aurifil 50/2 so that the build up of stitches would be less noticable.



Great fun. I find that I often do really well on my samples but when it comes to a real quilt I get some sort of stage fright - I could really relate to Leah's post about 'fear' the other day. This year I promised myself that I would not give in to this and move out of my comfort zone. With this in mind I recently finished a quilt with a basic feather wreath in the alternate block. Nearly jumped off again with thinking that it wouldn't work, would take too much time, let's just quilt in the ditch and so on... I persisted and as I had to do 15 motifs I had no choice but to become comfortable with it.

One of the many samples before I went onto the quilt with it. Not perfect, but good enough.

 Back to the Quilt Along. Next I tried following a pattern and stitiching-in-the-ditch









This worked fine except I think I need heaps more practice on the quilting-in-the ditch. Had the same issue as above - as soon as I stopped, I did some jerky type stitches before I got going again in a straight line. I also could not stay in the ditch at all times. What a timesaver though! Would be good to be able to do this and not constantly have to get up to change the quilt around. 

Karin

9 comments:

  1. Your feathers are stunning! I do so agree that stopping and starting is tricky. Greetings from another quilter "abroad" - I am British but live in France!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. That was such a leap of faith to do them on the quilt but I am glad I did.

      Delete
  2. Your quilting is wonderful! I thought quilting in the ditch was the absolute hardest this last week. But I am a firm believer in practice! Happy Quilting! ~Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment. I am going to practice the quilting-in-the ditch a bit more. It would be such a timesaver.

      Delete
  3. Your quilting is gorgeous! You absolutely could quilt on a quilt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Yes, did go on the quilt and it worked out fine. Will put up photos of my quilts soon, but need to move house first.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thank you. I was in the zone and had great fun with this (not always my experience when going on a 'real' quilt.

      Delete

Hi...thanks for stopping by and commenting. Very much appreciated! I will endeavour to answer all comments via email. Please check that you are not a no-reply blogger as there is no way of responding to you (other than by reply on the blog). If you need help with this issue, please head for Tutorials for a link on how to fix this issue.

Popular Posts