Wednesday 20 January 2016

Quilt Top Finished

My  baby quilt top is finished...this is the first of the quilts I nominated for the FAL 2016 to complete by the end of March.
Finished quilt top measuring approx. 52inx44in
I was thinking that the end result, while lovely, certainly does not correspond to the effort that goes into constructing one of these using the Y-seam technique. On the whole, it took me about 4 weeks to make my way through the Y-seams. I did find making the individual tumbling blocks easy and also managed putting the blocks into individual rows fairly quickly. The fiddly bit is really putting the rows together. If you want to have a bit of a look how I did construct this, please see my tutorials about Y-seams Part 1 and Part 2.

I am already thinking about the next one
Have this cute 'bug' fabric (bought several years ago) that I matched up with some simple tone-on-tone fabric. I think I might try out the strip piecing method for that one and see how I like the end result, i.e. will that seam across the top diamond really bother me that much? We'll see...

Not sure yet how I am going to quilt my Hippo quilt...whether allover design or just echoing around the diamonds and a bit of a loopy design in the borders.

Well, next job will be the basting which I really hate, so I am going to leave that for the weekend when it is hopefully a bit cooler.

Have not been over to Lorna's for some time (check out her Ugly Christmas Sweater QAL), so I am linking up to Let's Bee Social #108

Happy Quilting!

Karin

7 comments:

  1. Adorable fabrics in both the quilt top and the one planned. I will be back for your Y-seams tutorial, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I joined the 2016 FAL as well-my first time and I am excited to get some things finished!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely quilt finish - I have never done a Y seam and fear I am not patient enough!! Love the tone on tones, in fact more than solids so may need to do some shopping!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah Karin, the hard part is over! You did a wonderful job, congrats on that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on your finished top. It is really lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on the finished top. Beautiful colors. I really like the alternating yellow and green "tops".

    ReplyDelete
  7. It turned out beautifully and I love the fabric choices for your next quilt

    ReplyDelete

Hi...thanks for stopping by and commenting. Very much appreciated! I will endeavour to answer all comments via email. Please check that you are not a no-reply blogger as there is no way of responding to you (other than by reply on the blog). If you need help with this issue, please head for Tutorials for a link on how to fix this issue.

Popular Posts